No version published yet, version 7.2.0-dev is still under development, but I think it is useful to be able to start testing.
RPM of this upcoming version of PHP 7.2, are available in remi repository for Fedora 24, 25, 26 and Enterprise Linux 6, 7 (RHEL, CentOS, …) in a fresh new Software Collection (php72) allowing its installation beside the system version.
As I strongly believe in SCL potential to provide a simple way to allow installation of various versions simultaneously, and as I think it is useful to offer this feature to allow developers to test their applications, to allow sysadmin to prepare a migration or simply to use this version for some specific application, I decide to create this new SCL.
I will have the honor to share the Release Manager rôle for this version with Sara Golemon.
I also plan to propose this new version as a Fedora 27 change.
yum --enablerepo=remi-test install php72
To be noticed:
- the SCL is independant from the system, and doesn’t alter it
- this SCL is available in remi-safe repository (or remi for Fedora)
- installation is under the /opt/remi/php72 tree, configuration under the /etc/opt/remi/php72 tree
- the Apache module, php72-php, is available, but of course, only one mod_php can be used (so you have to disable or uninstall any other, the one provided by the default “php” package still have priority)
- the FPM service (php72-php-fpm) is available, it listens on default port 9000, so you have to change the configuration if you want to use various FPM services simultaneously.
- the php72 command give a simple access to this new version, however the scl command is still the recommended way (or the module command).
- for now, the collection provides 7.2.0-dev, but alpha/beta version should be released in the next weeks
- some of the PECL extensions are already available, see the extensions status page
- only x86_64, no plan for other arch.
$ module load php72 $ php --version PHP 7.2.0-dev (cli) (built: Apr 12 2017 09:48:21) ( NTS ) Copyright (c) 1997-2017 The PHP Group Zend Engine v3.2.0-dev, Copyright (c) 1998-2017 Zend Technologies with Zend OPcache v7.2.0-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2017, by Zend Technologies
As always, your feedback is welcome, a SCL dedicated forum is open.
Software Collections (php72)