Laura Abbott: Splitting the Ion heaps

One of the requests before Ion moves out of staging is to split the /dev
interface into multiple nodes. The way Ion allocation currently works is
by calling ioctls on /dev/ion. This certainly works but requires that Ion
have a fairly permissive set of privileges. There’s not an easy1 way to
restrict access to certain heaps. Splitting access out into /dev/ion0,
/dev/ion1 etc. makes it possible to set Unix and selinux permissions per
heap. Benjamin Gaignard has been working on some proposals
to make this work.

I decided to give this a boot and run a few tests. Everything came up okay in
my buildroot based environment but I didn’t see /dev/ion0, /dev/ion1 on
my Android system. Creation of the device nodes is the responsibility of
userspace so it wasn’t too surprising to see at least some problems. On
most systems, this is handled by some subset of udev,
which might be part of systemd or some other init subsystem. Android being
Android uses its own setup for device initialization.

My preferred Android board these days is a HiKey
development board. Linaro has done a fantastic job of getting support for this
board in AOSP so I can work off of AOSP master or one of the branches to do
development. By default, AOSP ships a binary kernel module based on whatever
branch they are shipping but John Stultz keeps a git tree
with a branch that tracks mainline pretty closely. With this setup, I can
recompile and test almost any part of the system I want (except for the Mali
blobs of course).

The Android init system provides an option to log
uevents. This was useful for seeing exactly what was going on. The logs showed
the init system probing some typical set of the /sys hierarchy. The Ion
nodes weren’t on that list though, so the Android init system wasn’t finding
it in /sys. This is what I found in /sys/devices/ on my qemu setup:

# ls /sys/devices/
LNXSYSTM:00  ion0         msr          platform     software     tracepoint
breakpoint   ion1         pci0000:00   pnp0         system       virtual

ion0 and ion1 are present in the /sys hierarchy but not where one might
have expected. This was a side-effect of how the underlying devices were set
up in the kernel. I’m not very familiar with the device model so I’m hoping
to see more feedback on a proper solution. Progress always takes time…


  1. You can do some filtering with seccomp but that’s not the focus here. 


Source From: fedoraplanet.org.
Original article title: Laura Abbott: Splitting the Ion heaps.
This full article can be read at: Laura Abbott: Splitting the Ion heaps.

Advertisement


Random Article You May Like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*
*